How to 'Alter' Transmetal 2
|Hello fellow alterers! Many of you have e-mailed asking me how I altered TM 2 Dinobot so his hand has 4 joints --->2 finger joints (still connected) with a thumb AND a separate joint for the sickle-blade fore-finger. This allows Dinobot to ~close~ his hand together so the "sickle-blade finger" can articulate separately from the thumb. Here's how I altered mine:|
|The first step was to get rid of that rivet they use to hold the hand
together. As you know, rivets are a pain in keester to remove, BUT we came up with
an easy/safe way to take them out. I used a drill, starting w/ smaller bits then
woking toward larger ones, I eliminated the rivet head on one side while being very
careful not to drill too deep to and cut the rivet shaft or plastic around it. Once
the rivet head was effectively eliminated, I used a nail to push the rivet shaft through
then once the head on the other side was exposed, I grabbed it with a needle-nose pliers
& removed it completely.
The next step involves the plastic piece that's the Sickle-blade finger/Thumb. I'll refer to it as S/T from now on. I took the S/T piece and basically cut off the S (sickle) using a dremmel
|tool. Then very carefully smoothed out the cylindrical portion
where the S used to be attached, so you
can't tell it used to be there.
Then using a completely new TM2 Dinobot toy, I repeat the same steps outlined above, only on the second time, I cut the plastic tube which connects the S/T to the fore-arm and cut off the
|Thumb. Again, when I was done, I
smoothed out the areas where the tube and Thumb
used to be so you can't tell they used to be there.
At this point I have have a knuckle
with thumb and tube connecting it to the fore-arm AND a knuckle with only a Sickle-blade finger. Before reconnecting them I
painted them using a blue metal silver color paint and get those fingers looking like
daggers of death!
|Holding the 2 finger piece, the thumb piece, and the sickle blade finger
piece together very tightly I used a screw just like the one above cut to length to hold
the hand together. In fact, the hand opening and closing mechanism is now more stiff
than it was w/ the rivet. It worked very well.
It took a little doing and you have
to have at least one extra TM2 Dinobot that you don't mind destroying, but I think the
results are worth the effort. Good luck! :)